People that say...

... size doesn't matter have either one of two things:

  • a small penis
  • a boyfriend with a small penis (whom may be in close proximity at time of the lie)
Well, that's enough penis talk for this post. The reason I mention size is because of my most recent acquisition. Until recently (yesterday), I have been playing my Dreamcast on my 15" TFT monitor in my bedroom, and playing my XBOX 360 on my 24" Dell monitor. 


The Dell is a great monitor, but having it just for xbox and the mac mini (which is more of a media centre unit) seemed like a waste. So I hiked the Dell into my bedroom. Movies in bed. Ace.

This was about to get better though. Someone at work had just bought a new HD-ready television. How does that affect me? Well, I mentioned that I didn't actually have a television, and he said "want my old [non-HD] plasma?". I said "Sure. What size and how much?". "32 inches and you can have it for free." "Wow... are you sure? That'd be great! Thanks!"

So I went to pick it up.

When I got it back to my place, after all the cuffuffle of getting it into the car (heavy thing!), I noticed something about it. I went into my brother's room and looked at his 32" TV (HD ready he'll hasten to add). It looked... smaller. It was smaller. A lot smaller.

I went back into the lounge and looked at the manual I had been given with the TV.

42". 42". I stood back and looked at the thing. It was HUGE. I did what any sane man would do and fired up Rez HD on the XBOX 360:



Later in the evening we watched Donnie Brasco, an excellent film. On a 42" plasma (THAT I GOT FOR FREE!!) I am sure many films will look amazing. Can't wait to get 300 up on that bad boy.

Here's a comparison picture with the old monitor...


A further interesting point, is that it is a display only. There is no built in TV tuner, so I can't watch TV on it (will do that through the Mac Mini), there is no SCART input, only DVI and VGA x 2 and also a set of BNC connectors for RGB (I need an RGB for Saturn now!). Dreamcast runs well and looks stunning on the display (VGA). XBOX 360 looked amazing (as per usual).

All in all, I am extremely fortunate to have acquired this amazing bit of kit. It fits nicely in my lounge and I have my amp (with 6 inputs) connected, which drives two massive Acoustic Solutions floor-standing speakers. Oh yes. This is how Rez was meant to have been played. My brother made an interesting point last night: "how did we ever manage to play four player powerstone all sat around a 15" CRT?" I'm not quite sure how we did, but I know it was damn fun. Let's fire it up again now.

Comments

Popular Posts