Multi-Mega

One thing about collecting SEGA stuff is that there is so much to choose from. Even if I were to only stick to PAL releases, I would still have the Game Gear, Master Systems (I and II), Mega Drives (I and II), Mega CD (I and II), 32X , Multi-Mega, Saturn and Dreamcast until I had the full set. That's an immense amount of hardware. Goody goody. Let's take a look at the Multi-Mega.

From Multi-Mega

In all my posts from now on, I will be linking to the main photo album over at picasaweb, so you can have a more detailed look at the images.


The Multi-Mega was SEGA's attempt to bring together the cumbersome MEGA CD-MEGA DRIVE combo that hadn't really been a best seller. The problem with the MEGA CD was that it was an add-on. In general, it would seem people don't like add-ons that much. Or at least, they didn't back in 1993. 



Dubbed "CD-X" in America, the Multi-Mega is a fraction of the size of the Mega Drive II even. It's a remarkable feat in technology. It'll work with the 32X too, but SEGA advised against this as the CD door wouldn't open properly and the 32X just made things a bit unbalanced.



Two AA batteries also enabled the little blighter to be a damn portable CD player! Back in the early ninties, this was fantastic. It's only a shame SEGA didn't release this in 1993 as a sequel to the Mega Drive and just advertise backwards compatability. There's a fine line between an add-on and backwards compatability, and I think the Mega CD is the model case of the latter. It's not an add on. It uses only 1 plug whilst allowing full Mega Drive game playability.



It's a great little machine. Head over to my picasaweb gallery and have a gander at some of the games I got with this beauty.

Comments

  1. Great post, thanks! This system has always puzzled me, mostly because, unlike the SEGA CD 1 and 2, I have never even been close to one - unfortunately it was not released in my country .

    This does remind me of those days when SEGA was so affected by the success of the Super Nintendo that they rushed into investing millions on the creation of consoles that would present a superior hardware. It stands as proof that no matter how good the hardware is, it's the quality of the games that counts . How unfortunate for SEGA... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've hit the nail on the head. It's the quality of games that is foremost. That's why people still play tetris and pong. It's why people want 2D sonic. It's why the Dreamcast is still loved dearly. It's why I am so pissed off at the way Sonic is being whored out constantly.

    Maybe you'll get a multi-mega one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for that Keio game for years!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts